Made this after tweaking a recipe which i had gotten from Jayshree Visht-Gussain, who had very kindly made it for Ashwinis birthday. I replaced her canola oil with a mix of pomace and extra virgin olive oil, and added in some 70% dark ghana chocolate. Having given all the spiel , lets get down to it.
Makes one 9″ cake enough for about 8 people
- olive oil- 250 ml i used half pomace and half extra virgin
- sugar grain- 200 gms
- eggs- 2 nos
- flour- 225 gms
- Baking powder- 10 gms
- cocoa powder- 25 gms
- Dark chocolate-100 gms
- milk-100 ml
- Melt the dark chocolate and milk together in the microwave – about 45 seconds or as long as it takes really without burning the chocolate. shouldnt take too much longer though
- Warm the olive oil slightly and add in the sugar, and whisk well , with the slight residual heat should help to melt it.
- Add in the eggs one at a time ,and it will get a mayonnaise like consistency
- Add in the melted chocolate +milk mixture
- mix in lightly a combination of the flour, cocoa, and baking powder , which (obviously) you would have mixed together before being the baking pro that you are.
- pour into greased / or sprayed with non stick spray cake tin and bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes. I used a springform tin and after 20 minuted covered the top to prevent it form colouring too much.