literally means pepper / milagai and powder/ podi but we can add more layers of flavor to it than just that .
Typically made in southern India to put on dosa/ or to mix with ghee or aesame oil to serve with idli it’s very versatile and I’ve even used it to crust on salmon and bake it or serve as a dukkah and olive oil and focaccia.
There are more recipes than you can shake your tail feathers at..and in the end it’s also upto your creativity and to see what you have.
- Roasted chana dal / this comes pre roasted I’m most indian shops and also persian or arabic shops- 20 g / 2 large T
- Peppercorns dry- 5 g roughly
- Shredded coconut not traditional but I like it
- curry leaves 1-2 sprigs ..I grow mine fresh at home and the flavor is to die for
- Dry red chilli/ I like to use Chipotle for the smoky flavor.-2-3 can increase depending on how hot you want it..
- Cashewnuts- 20 g/ 2 T
- Cumin seeds -5 g/1 t
Toast the above in the microwave- yes you can ..or in a fry pan if thats what you prefer. Cool down and blend/ grind to a coarse powder.
Sometimes i also add sesame seeds to mix above..Like i said sometime before all food needs your own touch to make it special and to your liking.