Sausage roll are the quintessential foods in Nz and down under, and most of the offerings in the shops just don’t cut it. .they are full of fillers and rubbish and have as much flavour as a discarded pizza box.With my classical training at The Oberoi Delicatessen ,where we would make all manner of charcuterie inhouse with no breadcrumbs in sight..Here we go .
- Minced meat – 500 g( yes it’s a lot but you can make and freeze them., Chicken or pork is good
- Salt 3 g
- Chicken stock powder-2 g ( get a digital scale )
- Garlic 10g
- Fennel seeds-1 g
- Cumin ground -1 g
- Mixed herbs( thyme, oregano)-1 g
- Nutmeg- pinch
- paprika – 5 g or chipotle 1 g
- pepper – pinch
- Milk powder- 25 g
- Eggs-1 – (1/2 in the mix and half for eggwashing.)
- Puff pastry – 400 g approximately
- fennel seeds or cumin seeds to go on top.
Mix the minced meat with all the dry ingredients an add in the egg in the end. Commercially we also add in about 100 g of ice in a big sort of a blender , which makes the whole mix a whole lot more moist when cooked.
To assemble these you need a largeish strip of puff pastry(try to get the butter version, its a lot better). Approximatley 10 cm s wide by 20 cms long.
make a sausage sort of shape with the meat and put in the middle of the pastry. egg wash the edges and seal the pastry forming a round sort of a shape. Eggwash the top as well and sprinkle with some fennel or cumin seeds.
Rest in the fridge for 15-20 mins and then bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 18-20 mins…drool over it and say Thank you lord for this amazing sausage roll , its like manna from heaven