We are making a beautiful gateau opera tonight in our cookery class. this is an almond sponge called joconde which is layered with a coffee flavoured butter cream and ganache.
For the sponge we need( will make one half sheet pan30cmx 40 cms)
- ground almond -85 gms
- sugar- 55 gms
- flour-30 gm
- eggs whole-3 ea
- Vanilla essence- 1ml
- egg white – 2ea
- sugar- 30 gms
- melted butter-30 gm
- mix almond sugar, flour together with the whole eggs and vanilla
- beat the egg whites with the sugar till quite stiff and fold it into earlier mixture
- fold in melted butter and bake in pre heated oven at 180c for 7-9 minutes.
- take out and keep covered to prevent it from drying out.
Swiss butter cream
- egg whites-3
- sugar-150 gms
- soft butter- 300 gms
- coffee liqueur
whisk egg whites with sugar over a double boiler till light.Add in soft butter and some coffee liqueur.
- cream- 50 ml
- Dark chocolate- 100 gms
Melt chocolate along with cream and use for one layer of the cake.
- dark chocolate- 75 gms
- butter-45 gms
- sugar syrup or glucose- 20 ml
Melt butter chocolate and glucose in a pan and adjust consistency to be able to pour on top of the cake.
the rest is all about arranging it neatly together and piping “opera ” on it with some chocolate.